Unveiling the Timeless Charms of Vietnam's Capital, Hanoi
Fascinating history, rich culture, and delicious food awaits in your trip.
- Hanoi means “City of Lakes”.
- Hanoi Temple Of Literature was the first University of Vietnam – originally built in 1070 it represents the spirit of learning and education in the country.
- Hanoi is a food lover’s paradise – the diverse street food scene offers tantalizing flavours and unique dishes for locals and visitors alike.
Be wary of an increased risk of Typhoid Fever when consuming food or water from street vendors or establishments with uncertain sanitation practices. It can also be spread through tainted shellfish from infected waters.
What is Typhoid?
Typhoid is a bacterial infection caused by the bacterium Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi. It is typically transmitted through contaminated food and water.
The typhoid vaccine is available in both injectable and oral forms and provides protection against typhoid fever, a potentially serious illness characterized by high fever, abdominal pain, and gastrointestinal symptoms.
How to Prevent Typhoid?
Prevention of Typhoid includes practicing good hygiene, being cautious with food (ensure well-cooked) and water (drink bottled or boiled), avoid establishments with unsanitary conditions, and vaccination.
Is Typhoid Vaccine Necessary?
Available in both injectable and oral forms, the typhoid vaccine provides protection against typhoid. If you are traveling to regions where typhoid is endemic or areas with poor sanitation and inadequate water and food safety, it is generally recommended to consider getting vaccinated against typhoid.
Travelers are at higher risk of contracting typhoid if staying for an extended period or have increased exposure and close contact to local communities and/or consuming food and water outside of controlled environments.
To find out if your destination(s) require the Typhoid vaccine, consult a Rockdoc Travel Medicine Professional here.
We have made every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the provided information, however, it is not feasible for us to update daily. Please book a virtual consultation with one of our Travel Medicine Professionals for current, personalized advice and answers to any questions you may have.
Is Typhoid Serious Disease?
Symptoms of Typhoid include:
- High fever, often lasting for several days
- Abdominal pain and discomfort
- Headaches and body aches
- Weakness and fatigue
- Loss of appetite
- Rash (rose-colored and flat)
- Enlarged spleen and liver
- Confusion or delirium in severe cases
- Intestinal bleeding (in rare cases)
Symptoms can vary in severity and may overlap with other illnesses. If you suspect you have typhoid or have been exposed to contaminated food or water, seek medical attention for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Typhoid Fever Fast Facts
- You can continue to infect others even after you stop experiencing symptoms yourself.
- Some people can continue to spread the bacteria even after recovery.
- It usually takes 8 to 14 days before symptoms show. Some people may get sick in as little as 3 days.
Help keep yourself safe. There are two different typhoid vaccinations available – oral or intramuscular injection. Book a travel medical consultation with a Rockdoc Travel Medicine Professional to find out which one is the best for you!